Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Rocky Mountain National Park 7.06.17

Today we visited Rocky Mountain National Park! Jeff really wanted to drive up the often closed Fall River Road, which is gravel and dirt, one way, (up) and has lots of switchbacks and steep climbs. We were all game and piled in the Jeep!


I could definitely see why this road was often closed to vehicles! It would be absolutely impassible in wet or snowy conditions, but this day happened to be a perfect day to drive it.

We made stops along the way up to sight see.


One of my favorite pictures from the trip. I'm wearing my cute shirt designed by my friend Michelle, and standing in front of the Roaring River, a tributary of the Fall River.


A great spot to get out and see some amazing views from part way up the mountain.


We also saw some beautiful scenery right from the car:



I will never, ever tire of Colorado blue skies, mountains, and lakes. It's just amazing.

Once we got to the top, we decided to hike up to the tippy top point at the Visitors' Center. For Kathy and Andy, this was NBD. For Jeff and me, it was a VERY big deal. We were crazy winded by the time we got to the top, but you know what? We did it! I couldn't do it two years earlier, so I was really proud.





We're a bunch of freaking rock stars!

We took our time looking around and of course, souvenir shopping at the gift shop!


As we left, we drove down Trail Ridge Road to the opposite side of the Rockies and into Grand Lake, CO, where none of us had ever been.


We found a picnic spot right on the lake. Gorgeous views!


On the way back to Estes, we stopped at the Continental Divide and saw a few other special sites as well.



How about some elk? Anyone want to see a herd of elk?


That was pretty cool, and a great use of the Jeep's retractable sun roof.

Our day wasn't done, but I'll save the evening's activities for the next post.

Happy camping!
Peggy

2 comments: