Thursday, December 14, 2017

Somewhere Near West Union, IA 09.16.16

Forgive the long hiatus, friends and readers. I wish I could tell you that the reason I haven't been posting more camping eye candy for you is because I've been so busy camping, but that would not be true. I think the problem is, I got out of the habit! Bad self! So, I'm back to share with you the fun and unique experience we had in northeast Iowa.

This was quite different from our normal camping routine. This weekend, we parked on the property of a gorgeous, rustic cabin, partly owned by my brother and sister in law, Matt and Wendy. I can't even give you an exact location, but it was remote, serene, and beautiful. Andy and I arrived before Matt and Wendy, and we had to set up just as it was getting dark. Here's the shot at dusk. (Ignore the blue bag on the front!)


As you can see, our little yellow flamingos, Fred and Lucy, made the trip as well. We were parked right next to their cabin, and ran an extension cord out to the B@r T@b so we would have power. We filled the freshwater tank with water from the hose, and get this...their cabin has NO bathroom, but does have an outdoor shower and outhouse. Obviously our little camper bathroom got quite a bit of use this weekend. :)

Once we were set up, we got a fire going in the firepit, and relaxed while we waited for our family to arrive.


It's hard to go wrong with this view, but if we turned around, that view wasn't bad either!


Hello, sunset!

The next morning we followed our usual routine of driving around the area and enjoying activities. We found several!

First, we found this awesome heirloom seed farm, Seed Savers in Decorah, IA. It was the end of the season, but it didn't stop us from looking at the beautiful fall gardens and picking up a few items in their gift shop!



SELFIES!!!

After that, we traveled to Toppling Goliath Brewery, also in Decorah. (How is it we always find breweries? Hmmm...)


We enjoyed a taste of a few different brews in their tasting room/bar, took a bunch of goofy pics that I'll save you from having to view, (could be the beer influence?) then headed back to our little abodes.

We spent the evening mostly outside, then retired to the porch of the cabin where three people tried their darndest to teach me cards...I think it was Euchre? I don't know. I do know that I wasn't very good, and everyone took their turn being a patient partner with me. It was still fun, even if I didn't have skills.

The next day, I think the guys went hunting or fishing or something. I do know that they took along Tess, the world's most adorable lab!



She is NOT a small dog, but she sure is sweet. Anyway, she tagged along with Andy and Matt, and Wendy and I explored a greenhouse/gift shop in Hawkeye, IA.


This was just one area of their outdoor garden. Don't ask me why I didn't take more pictures! It was huge and beautiful!

After shopping there, we went to Country View Dairy, located on a working farm, near Hawkeye. Talk about farm fresh!



The best part about this dairy is that there is a self-serve area that's always open. (Though, I hope people would respect some reasonable hours as they do live here.)


In this little shop, you can purchase yogurt, cheese, eggs, butter, milk, and even a self-serve fro-yo!


Here I am using my skills from my DQ days to make a pretty little sample cup. It's all based on the honor system, so you write down your name, what you purchased, your total, and either leave cash or a check for the correct amount. I am thrilled that people respect this! Restores my faith in humanity a little. 💗

I was so enthralled with this little setup that I made Andy go back with me on our way home the following day.

Northeast Iowa is beautiful, and I highly recommend a visit, whether you have a camper or not!

Happy Camping!
Peggy

No comments:

Post a Comment