Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Organizing Our Camper

I might be a bit of a nerd, but I love to organize. Garages, craft rooms, kitchens, linen cabinets...and now...our T@B! The minute we placed our order for the T@B, I began scouring the interwebs to look at pictures of the cabinets, bench storage spots, and any other area I thought might be useful for storing stuff. I even joined a T@B forum to ask questions and see if anyone would take some measurements. I may have been a little obsessed, but it paid off! When the B@R T@B arrived, I was stocked with lots of organizers and containers to maximize my space. Tour time:


This handy little hanger solved two problems for me. One, the bathroom door isn't very private, and it's directly across the camper from the door, so I thought it might be a good idea to hang something on it, and two, it gave us storage for our beach towels. If you're looking for an organizer like this, I ordered it from amazon.com for $12.99, and that link should take you right to it.

Next I'll move to the cabinets above the front bench where I stored our toiletries.


This is still a work in progress, but up here I have two rolls of RV safe TP, facial cleanser, toothbrushes and toothpaste, sunscreen, and a few other bits and things.


In the right hand cabinet, I put these awesome yellow storage boxes that I found at our local thrift store for $1 each. In them I organized annoying but necessary little items like a sewing kit, laundry supplies, and hygiene items. I also fit in two emergency rain ponchos, wet wipes, a laundry bag and our microfiber bath towels. There's a lot in that little space!

The bench below these cabinets also has storage, left side for me, right side for Andy!



As of now, we have some plastic shoe boxes in each side containing items we want to always have in the camper (sweatpants, extra socks, blankets, etc.) and lots of space on top of those to store our clothes for each trip.


I like the idea of the boxes (my side here, with a picnic blanket stored on the left), but I think that they're taking up too much room for me for the storage area they provide, so I may make some changes shortly. Andy, however, likes his side:





Moving to the back of the camper, there are three cabinets, and two pass through to the kitchen area:


This cabinet is on the back of the outside TV, so it's the only one that doesn't pass through to the kitchen. In it we put a first aid kit, tissues, more sunscreen, bug spray, more wet wipes, paper towels, and some staple can foods.


The middle cabinet has some of the canned foods, potato chips (The Lays Stacks fit perfectly, and stay fresh!) pasta, rice, grains, crackers, graham crackers, and Belvita granola bars, our favorite!  By using some plastic containers from Walmart, I was able to fit a lot of irregular shaped containers in, as well as manage to keep them fresh and away from bugs and rodents.


The right hand cabinet has so much food, we will probably never starve! K-cups for my mini-Keurig coffee machine, ground coffee for our French press coffee maker, salsa cups, spices, condiments, popcorn, snacks, dried fruit, and granola. I used my label maker to label all the containers so it would be easy to see what was inside. I also took the time to duplicate the labels and place them on the kitchen side as well:


No matter which side I'm accessing from, I can see what I am looking for. The kitchen has a large cabinet to the left of the fridge where I put all of our dishes, mugs, etc:


We have service for 6, plates and bowls. I also have a stack of Chinet compostable plates, four coffee mugs, the French press, a cocktail shaker, 2 water bottles, 3 collapsible bowls, 3 cutting boards, two wine glasses, 4 reusable plastic tumblers, and several Solo cups. I also have our oven mitt and potholder in there, and most of it is easily accessible due to a wire add-on shelf on the bottom. It took some trial and error, but I'm really happy with how it turned out, and it travels very well. When we arrive and we open up the kitchen, everything is still in its place!

The last kitchen area is still my work in progress, the area under the sink and stove:


There is quite a bit of stuff in here, I just hate how it looks. I have to be careful on the left side, under the sink, because there are a LOT of water pipes under there, and I don't want to put anything on them that might squish them and damage them or make them not work correctly. As I have it now, my Clorox Wipes, soap, sponge, paper towels, towels, and dish draining pad are tucked in here and there in the spots between the pipes. I used two magazine organizers to vertically hold baggies, tin foil, garbage bags, and plastic grocery bags. On the far right, I have 3 cast iron skillets of differing sizes, a dutch oven, and saucepan. That all fits really well, and is easy to get to. While we travel, I also put my utensil crock, collapsible trash can, solar light, and an ice tea pitcher, then when we arrive, I place those items where I need them for our stay!

Thanks for checking out this post, too! My next story to share is our first camping excursion! Not only does it give you some fun info about the T@B, it gives you a great resource for a fabulous campsite in Wisconsin...it's even near a cheese factory! YES!

Happy Camping!
Peggy












8 comments:

  1. Wow! Is anyone allowed to use anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes! I promise it doesn't look like this at the end of our trips. Just for you, I'll take some pics this weekend of the "lived-in" look and do a post. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Love how everything looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So glad you reminded me of my label maker. Look how useful it is!

      Delete
  3. I love it!! It all looks so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is pretty, and it's nice to know where everything is!

      Delete
  4. Do you have any advice for storing shower items (shampoo and soap) inside the wet bath?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, that's a hard one! We started with a suction cup basket on the mirror, which actually did all right. I've switched to a basket that just sits on the side ledge of the wetbath.

    ReplyDelete